Skip to main content

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

 "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past," concludes Fitzgerald in his  novel, The Great Gatsby. In the end, life will almost always fail to fulfill our deep dreams and desires, and Gatsby was living proof of that.

Written from the perspective of Nick Carraway, new resident and outsider of the fabulous lives of those around him, The Great Gatsby is a beautiful piece of art that addresses the seemingly magnificent parts of life for the wealthy- parties, mansions, splendid food, etc.- and the darkness that hides beneath the surface of the sophistication- affairs, constant drinking, suspicious deaths, etc.

Wealthy people, especially Jay Gatsby, looked good on the outside, but behind the scenes, their lives were honestly pretty dark. Gatsby's past speaks to this. In love with a woman he can never have, Gatsby's entire past life is a secret that people throughout the story have decided to draw their own rumors about. Eventually, readers themselves get a glimpse of Gatsby's story through the budding relationship of Nick and Gatsby later in the novel; however, a lot of his past is kept secret and could potentially have been lies crafted by the gentleman. I personally don't think that Nick is ever even really sure if he believes most of what Gatsby says about his story until the climax of the novel (but I won't share any spoilers on what happens there ;)).

Fitzgerald beautifully weaves together the story of Jay Gatsby, addressing both the loveliness and darkness of this world and the society and culture of people living the 1920's. The Great Gatsby is officially one of my new favorite classic pieces, and I gave it 4/5 stars on Goodreads.

Everyone should go read this novel! My copy of the book is only 182 pages, so it was definitely a quick read for me, yet I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Possession by Katie Lowe

The past haunts her. The present hunts her. Possession by Katie Lowe is a thrilling story about ghosts, murder, and secrets that need to be let out. Years ago, Hannah's husband, Graham, was murdered. The police thought they put the killer behind bars, but Conviction, a true-crime podcast, wants to challenge the case they made all those years ago because they don't believe the real murderer was caught. The podcast brings up parts of Hannah's past that she would have rather kept buried, and people believe that she is the one who killed her husband. Everyone begins to believe that she is crazy, but Hannah knows that something isn't right. And she is determined to find out what's really going on. I absolutely loved this story! As a thriller and horror fanatic, I enjoyed getting to see a combination of spooky elements throughout the book. The plot was intense and action-packed, and the narrator was a bit unreliable, which I personally believe can make thrillers so much ...

Nightmare (Part Two)

I slowly back out of my parent’s room and shut the door again. Wherever they are, I just hope they're safe. The darkness is overwhelming and though a little light comes from my phone, I feel blind and enveloped in black curtains, unable to see more than a few inches in front of me. I am in a black void of nothingness. The house has disappeared, and I am just floating in a black hole- and there is nothing around me. Finding myself in a void of darkness certainly would have been less horrifying than what happens next. In the few moments I spend dreaming of myself being anywhere but here, I don’t even get the chance to turn around and face the expanse of the hallway before I feel it. Hair rises on the back of my neck as a freezing cold breath exhales slowly by my ear. I shiver, too scared to turn around. I was not alone. I most definitely was not alone in this house. With trembling body, I turn around slowly, very slowly. In the split second it takes me to rotate my body, there...

Wrapping Up 2019

Hey there, readers! Long time, no see ;) This last year has been an extremely crazy time of growth and change, and as 2019 has finally come to a close, I just wanted to give a quick recap on the year and some of the stuff I have learned in the hopes to provide some encouragement to y'all who may be going through something in your life right at this moment. Life is what you make of it, and what you make of it alone. Nobody, and I mean NOBDOY, gets to define how life goes for you, and nobody has the right to make judgements about you. You get to make your own decisions and choices, and you should choose what is going to make you happy!! Make the right decisions, but at the same time, be good to yourself- you deserve to be happy. ♥ People are overwhelming. Life is overwhelming. It is okay to take a break and be alone for a little bit. You deserve time alone to relax and recharge. You aren't required to always be out and about with other people. This is something I had been strugg...